Sunday, September 26, 2010

Older but then...

It was a  welcome Saturday as it marked an end to the slightly hectic week. Got up at 9 to realize that i had missed the early morning train by four hours. Quickly called a friend and got to know that the next train was at sharp 11.
By the time my wrist watch read 11, i was in the train as it started moving slowly whistling its way out.I was lil surprised as there were not many people around,on the train.In fact 5 per compartment would have sufficed all the travelers.I comforted myself  in the seat next to the window and started gazing outside, humming to the tunes out of headphones.Near my seat was an old women in her early 70's .she was fat and had wrinkles all over her face.
 Travelling always reminds me of my brother and the fights we had for the window seat.I  always enjoy traveling next to the window as  i love the breeze passing swiftly close to my face.My brother obviously was not always ready to sacrifice the privilege and it used trigger the arguments.However this time i was traveling alone and as the train was not so full, i was there next to a window seat enjoying the breeze. 
   Next two hours passed without much significance and then  train stopped at Maddur station.I got down the train to help myself with a Maddur Wada.  when i came back to my seat again i was surprised to see the old women sitting near the window, on my seat.I didnt like this idea of  seat exchange but could'nt talk to her as she gestured to be in sleep. Soon after she opened her eyes and told me that she wants to pray at some temple coming in the way ,  i said ok and settled in another seat.After few minutes when train was over a bridge this women had her hands folded and started chanting looking at the river below.
I was happy as she had finished her praying part and was hoping to get the window seat back. As i was looking at her the old lady went into sleep again not even bothering to look at me. Now i was not sure if she had something else to pray for. Apparently she never got up till the Last stop. I cursed my fate for not being able to enjoy the travel and got at the last stop.( The lady was still sleeping ...:)  )




No comments:

Post a Comment